Dealing with phishing spam

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Oct 8 13:37:34 CEST 2010

Hello Lars,

A great question!

Short answer:  Bogofilter works well with phishing messages.

Long answer follows ...

Most words in bogofilter's wordlist have "neutral" scores, i.e.
bogofilter's training has taught it that the words aren't significant
when making the ham/spam determination.

There will be some word differences between the real and the phishing
messages.  With training bogofilter will learn which ones are
significant, i.e. indicate ham/spam.

When phishing message first start appearing, bogofilter typically will
classify them as "ham" (because they seem real).  After training some
of these as spam, bogofilter will start classifying them as "unsure".
Further training shifts the classification to "spam".

The process works (given some time and some training).

HTH,

David