Dealing with phishing spam

Thomas Anderson tanderson at orderamidchaos.com
Fri Oct 8 14:51:04 CEST 2010

The process works much faster and more accurately if you also use
stripsearch with bogofilter...

http://orderamidchaos.com/bogofilter/stripsearch

Stripsearch investigates the body of your emails for evidence of
spamvertized URLs by looking them up in a Realtime BlockList (RBL) such
as surbl.org or spamhaus.org.  Any matching URLs are then replaced by
the token SPAM-ADDRESS as a hook for statistical filters.  This serves
the double purpose of making it less likely to click on a phishing scam
or illegitimate unsubscribe link, and also making it more likely that
the email will be flagged as spam.  This should especially help to
classify those spams which consist of just a linked image and no text,
or a phishing scam posing as a company with which you have regular
correspondance such as, perhaps, eBay, PayPal, or your bank.

If a domain is not listed in a URIBL, a further test is performed on
HTML emails.  The HREF link is compared to the content enclosed by the
tag, and if there is a domain in the content and it does not match the
domain of the link, then the token SCAM-ADDRESS is added to indicate
that the address shown is not the address to which the link connects.
There may be occasions where this is proper, but in most cases, this
technique is used for phishing or fraud.

I've been using stripsearch for a few years now and phishing has not
been a problem at all.  The tags give bogofilter the additional level of
confidence that a phishing email is spam.  And even if bogofilter misses
one and it comes in as ham, the tags alert me to the true nature of the
email, preventing me from inadvertently clicking the phishing link.  And
while it has helped me immensely, it has been even more helpful for my
less savvy clients who would otherwise be rather unaware of when an
email is a phishing scam.

Tom