Messages marked as spam - Actions?

Thomas Anderson tanderson at orderamidchaos.com
Tue Oct 6 21:19:51 CEST 2009

tomas at tuxteam.de wrote:
>> I'd choose the last option, move the messages to the spam folder and
>> leave the user's decision to remove them.
>>
>> Now if you could guide me, as I could do this? I use postfix as MTA
>> along with MailScanner and Dovecot as POP3 and IMAP server
>
> The important piece here is the MDA, that is, the piece of software
> which actually puts the mail into the box. Depending on your
> configuration it's Postfix itself, or Dovecot's deliver or even a
> third-party package (e.g. Procmail).

Or you could leave it to the email client.  Tag the header and/or
subject line with the "X-Bogosity" or "[SPAM]" markers respectively, and
users can set their client software to move it to a folder or delete it.
  This would be more compatible with POP3.

Personally, I use my email client (Evolution) to sort by "X-Bogosity"
into tiers beyond the normal Ham/Unsure/Spam.  I also have high
probability (>0.9), moderate probability (>0.7,<0.9), and low
probability (>unsure,<0.7).  This helps manage how much time I spend
scanning for false-positives.  With unsures, I look at each email body.
  With low prob spam, I look carefully at senders and subjects.  With
mod prob spam, I quickly scan senders and subjects.  And for high prob
spam, I barely glance through the list, either sender or subject but
rarely both, before deleting.

Tom