Same from and to

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:59:35 CET 2009

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:02:23 -0900
barsalou <barjunk at attglobal.net> wrote:

> I've been getting a bunch of messages that have my email address and
> domain in the from and to fields.
>
> Is this an effort to confuse bogofilter?
>
> Bogofilter isn't currently blocking these, and I'm wondering if I
> train it to block these, then I won't get my regular mail.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this?

This isn't new, it's an old trick. Some people and mail services
whitelist the address book, into which people often put their own
addresses. It also guarantees that the from address is a real address,
in case the receiving server tries to verify it.

Treat them like any other spams, provided that you also learn some ham
along the way there shouldn't be any more problem than with any other
token that's characteristic of the delivery path.