Same from and to

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Jan 8 18:11:51 CET 2009

On Thursday 08 January 2009 10:59:35 am RW wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 16:02:23 -0900
>
> barsalou <barjunk at attglobal.net> wrote:
> > I've been getting a bunch of messages that have my email address
> > and domain in the from and to fields.
> >
> > Is this an effort to confuse bogofilter?
> >
> > Bogofilter isn't currently blocking these, and I'm wondering if I
> > train it to block these, then I won't get my regular mail.
> >
> > Can anyone shed some light on this?
>
> This isn't new, it's an old trick. Some people and mail services
> whitelist the address book, into which people often put their own
> addresses. It also guarantees that the from address is a real
> address, in case the receiving server tries to verify it.
>
> Treat them like any other spams, provided that you also learn some
> ham along the way there shouldn't be any more problem than with any
> other token that's characteristic of the delivery path.

My solution at the moment is to create a kmail filter that sends all
email FROM one of my web site names (wexfordpress and typebye at the
moment) to a special folder. I expect 100% spam in this folder unless
I do a mail test to myself.  This filter is last in the stack of
filters, so that email I send to a mailing list like this will be
caught earlier and routed to a special folder.  That is a
non-bogofilter solution but more pointed to the specific situation.

--
John Culleton