Filter breakers

Stephen Davies scldad at sdc.com.au
Sat Apr 5 03:37:08 CEST 2008

I use Amavis, Amavisd, Clamav, Bogofilter and milter to scan all mail.

Based on the bogofilter return value, I run bogofilter -n or bogofilter -s to
register the result and if it is spam, I put it in a mailbox called spambox
for review.

I haven't had a false "spam" in ages; just incorrect "hams".

When a spam gets through to my inbox, I forward it to user spam which is an
alias for a shell script that runs bogofilter -Ns (twice) to reverse the
registrations.

I am going to follow your advice regarding registering a bunch of stuff to see
if it improves things.

Cheers and thanks,
Stephen

On Friday 04 April 2008 21:03, David Relson wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 18:10:13 +0930
>
> Stephen Davies wrote:
> > G'day David.
> >
> > I hadn't checked the month total frequencies. I get:

> ...[snip]...
>
> > When did headers start being included? Probably the bulk of my
> > database is several years old. Do you think something like bogoutil
> > -m wordlist.db -a 20050101 or bogoutil -m wordlist.db -c 500 might
> > help?
> >
> > Cheers and thanks,
> > Stephen
>
> Header tagging was implemented about 5 years ago.  Do you, per chance,
> have it disabled via the "-H" flag?
>
> Personally, I use tristate classification and database autoupdating
> ( "-u" flag).  This involves additional care and overhead because it's
> important to correct classification errors (because one error can lead
> to additional errors if not corrected).  I also filter messages
> classified "Unsure" to a special folder so they can be registered
> appropriately (as ham or spam).
>
> Another idea is to take a day's incoming messages and register them
> all.  As the "head:Apr" token will be in all the ham and spam,
> this will neutralize the token.  Repeating this exercise once
> per month will neutralize all the month tokens.
>
> Regards,
>
> David

This email is for the person(s) identified above, and is confidential to
the sender and the person(s).  No one else is authorised to use or
disseminate this email or its contents.

Stephen Davies Consulting                            Voice: 08-8177 1595
Adelaide, South Australia.                             Fax: 08-8177 0133
Computing & Network solutions.                       Mobile:0403 0405 83