procmail: Non-zero exitcode (1) from "/usr/bin/bogofilter"

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Sep 13 02:17:57 CEST 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:43:39 -0400
dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:

> My bogofilter went south again.  I am getting procmail: Non-zero
> exitcode (1) from "/usr/bin/bogofilter"
>
> from procmail for every email.  This started happening on Monday,
> and I just noticed.  Nothing is getting classified as spam.  Ive had
> and fixed this problem before, but cant find my notes about bogoutil
> and checking my spam vs. ham.  Any bogofilter gurus out there that
> can point me the right way would be great.  Im running:
> bogofilter version 1.1.3
>      Database: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.3.29: (September
> 12, 2006) AUTO-XA
> Copyright (C) 2002-2006 David Relson, Matthias Andree, Greg Louis
> Copyright (C) 2002-2003 Eric S. Raymond, Adrian Otto, Gyepi Sam.
>

> thanks,
>
> ddh
>
> --
> Dwayne Hottinger
> Network Administrator
> Harrisonburg City Public Schools

Hi Dwayne,

Version 1.1.3 is somewhat old, but that's not related to the problem.

FWIW, the exit codes are defined (in common.h) as:
   RC_SPAM	= 0,
   RC_HAM	= 1,
   RC_UNSURE	= 2,

Does your installation depend on a procmail recipe testing for

Have you manually tested bogofilter, i.e.

   bogofilter -e -p < msg.ham.txt
   bogofilter -e -p < msg.spam.txt

One possibility is that your wordlist has become b0rked.  Has it's size
(in MB) changed (perchance)?  Have you tried getting a wordcount, i.e.
"bogoutil -d /PATH_TO_WORDLIST/wordlist.db | wc -l", and is it a
reasonably (large) number?

HTH,