Non-zero exitcode (1) from "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter"

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Mar 25 03:52:52 CEST 2007

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:37:35 -0400
dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:

> Quoting dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us:
>
> > I have the following procmail recipe for bogofilter:
> > # send through bogofilter
> > :0HB:
> > * ? /usr/local/bin/bogofilter -l
> > /opt/bogofilter-spam/bogofilter-spam
> >
> > Worked until 1843 March 23.  At least that is the time on the last
> > spam message in my bogofilter-spam box.  Watching the procmail log I
> > see :
> > procmail: Executing "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter,-l"
> > procmail: Non-zero exitcode (1) from "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter"
> > procmail: No match on "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter -l"
> >
> > Where do I start looking for this problem?  Any ideas what could
> > have gone wrong?  Everything else is flowing fine.
> >
> > ddh
> >

> Sorry to reply to my own post.  But it looks like my wordlist might
> be out of whack.  I see this in my maillog:
> Mar 24 18:29:33 mail bogofilter[12429]: X-Bogosity: No,
> spamicity=0.000000, version=1.1.3
> It looks to me like bogofilter is scoring everything, but nothing is
> getting scored as spam.  I currently have users report emails as
> spam, and emails as innocent.  Emails reported as spam I import with
> a perl script:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> print "Executing 'bogofilter -Nsv < /var/local/imp-spam' three
> times\n"; `bogofilter -Nsv < /var/local/imp-spam`;
> `bogofilter -Nsv < /var/local/imp-spam`;
> `bogofilter -Nsv < /var/local/imp-spam`;
>
> print "Archiving imp-spam to /var/local/imp-spam-archive\n";
> `cat /var/local/imp-spam >> /var/local/imp-spam-archive`;
>
> print "Clearing contents of /var/local/imp-spam\n";
> `cat < /dev/null > /var/local/imp-spam`;
>
> Emails that are reported as innocent I import as:
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> print "Executing 'bogofilter -Snv < /var/local/not-spam' three
> times\n"; `bogofilter -Snv < /var/local/not-spam`;
> `bogofilter -Snv < /var/local/not-spam`;
> `bogofilter -Snv < /var/local/not-spam`;
>
> print "Archiving not-spam to /var/local/not-spam-archive\n";
> `cat /var/local/not-spam >> /var/local/not-spam-archive`;
>
> print "Clearing contents of /var/local/imp-spam\n";
> `cat < /dev/null > /var/local/not-spam`;
>
> Im guessing that bogofilter -Snv isnt the correct way to import
> emails and have them scored as ham.  Is anyone else trying this?   My
> users arent savy enough to have each one manage their own spam.   I
> currently go through the messages reported as spam so that users
> dont report the super (or me) as spam, then run the imp-spam.  This
> has worked very well for perhaps 3 years.  I just added the report
> as innocent option.
>
> ddh

"-Sn" is the flag set to use when the message has previously been
registered as spam and you wish to undo the spam registration and
register the message as ham.  It's appropriate to use "-Sn" when
bogofilter is run with "-u" which registers _all_ incoming messages
according to bogofilter's classification.

You can check the scoring of individual messages using "-vv" and "-vvv"
flags (described in more detail in the FAQ).  If your checking shows
the wordlist is badly out of whack, I'd recommend nuking the wordlist
and starting anew (with as many ham and spam as are readily available).

HTH,