Non-zero exitcode (1) from "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter"

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us
Sat Mar 24 23:37:35 CET 2007

Quoting dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us:

> I have the following procmail recipe for bogofilter:
> # send through bogofilter
> :0HB:
> * ? /usr/local/bin/bogofilter -l
> /opt/bogofilter-spam/bogofilter-spam
>
> Worked until 1843 March 23.  At least that is the time on the last
> spam message in my bogofilter-spam box.  Watching the procmail log I
> see :
> procmail: Executing "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter,-l"
> procmail: Non-zero exitcode (1) from "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter"
> procmail: No match on "/usr/local/bin/bogofilter -l"
>
> Where do I start looking for this problem?  Any ideas what could have
> gone wrong?  Everything else is flowing fine.
>
> ddh

Sorry to reply to my own post.  But it looks like my wordlist might be
out of whack.  I see this in my maillog:
Mar 24 18:29:33 mail bogofilter[12429]: X-Bogosity: No,
spamicity=0.000000, version=1.1.3
It looks to me like bogofilter is scoring everything, but nothing is
getting scored as spam.  I currently have users report emails as spam,
and emails as innocent.  Emails reported as spam I import with a perl
script:

#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Executing 'bogofilter -Nsv < /var/local/imp-spam' three times\n";
`bogofilter -Nsv < /var/local/imp-spam`;
`bogofilter -Nsv < /var/local/imp-spam`;
`bogofilter -Nsv < /var/local/imp-spam`;

print "Archiving imp-spam to /var/local/imp-spam-archive\n";
`cat /var/local/imp-spam >> /var/local/imp-spam-archive`;

print "Clearing contents of /var/local/imp-spam\n";
`cat < /dev/null > /var/local/imp-spam`;

Emails that are reported as innocent I import as:
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Executing 'bogofilter -Snv < /var/local/not-spam' three times\n";
`bogofilter -Snv < /var/local/not-spam`;
`bogofilter -Snv < /var/local/not-spam`;
`bogofilter -Snv < /var/local/not-spam`;

print "Archiving not-spam to /var/local/not-spam-archive\n";
`cat /var/local/not-spam >> /var/local/not-spam-archive`;

print "Clearing contents of /var/local/imp-spam\n";
`cat < /dev/null > /var/local/not-spam`;

Im guessing that bogofilter -Snv isnt the correct way to import emails
and have them scored as ham.  Is anyone else trying this?   My users
arent savy enough to have each one manage their own spam.   I
currently go through the messages reported as spam so that users dont
report the super (or me) as spam, then run the imp-spam.  This has
worked very well for perhaps 3 years.  I just added the report as
innocent option.

ddh