Problems with Asian Spam

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us
Wed Nov 22 14:05:47 CET 2006

Thats what I do.  If a message is found as spam, it goes in a mailbox,
user emails me and says her ticket reminder , order confirmation from
ebay, etc. wasnt delivered.  I use pine, open mailbox (usually around
20 -25000 emails a day there) and search through all the emails to
find it.  Then I forward a copy to user and a copy to me.  I then run
bogofilter -Snv  < /mymailbox/, it seems to work fine.  But yes,
bogofilter works extremely well.  The problem isnt the software I
guess its the huge quantity of spam that we deal with everyday.  I
process over 50000 emails a day for 725 users.  I wish there was
someway to track down the spammers and pull their fingernails out ;-0.

ddh

Quoting stefan <stefan.geissler at theimagingsource.com>:

>  <dhottinger <at> harrisonburg.k12.va.us> writes:
>

>> Arrrrgh, I refuse to live with spam.  Must be an answer.  The one
>> thats got me concerned are the spams with the inline images and the
>> random text behind the images.  Bogofilter doesnt seem to catch those.
>>   Furthermore, Im not so sure that the random text (usually snippets
>> from some book) seem to be skewing my wordlist.  Im getting a few more
>> messages caught as spam that shouldnt be.  Although all of these are
>> ticket reminders, etc.  Which shouldnt be sent to my mail server by
>> users anyway.  If anyone has a good way to kill these spam messages
>> that would be great.
>>

> I agree with you. But I found that bogofilter is very good in
> finding spam mails
> even if it is text from books or worse: apparently meaningful text
> regarding C++
> programming and FireWire issues. bogofilter found this spam
> immediatly while I
> needed to read the text twice.
>
> At least I have no idea how to get rid of the not translateable Asian spam.
>
>> ... Im getting a few more messages caught as spam that shouldnt be ...
>
> You should train them as ham, this works fine (bogofilter -n). If
> these "ticket
> reminders" are not wanted, you may use a .procmailrc for filtering them to
> /dev/null.
>
> Stefan

Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator