Problems with Asian Spam

stefan stefan.geissler at theimagingsource.com
Wed Nov 22 13:48:32 CET 2006

 <dhottinger <at> harrisonburg.k12.va.us> writes:

> Arrrrgh, I refuse to live with spam.  Must be an answer.  The one
> thats got me concerned are the spams with the inline images and the
> random text behind the images.  Bogofilter doesnt seem to catch those.
>   Furthermore, Im not so sure that the random text (usually snippets
> from some book) seem to be skewing my wordlist.  Im getting a few more
> messages caught as spam that shouldnt be.  Although all of these are
> ticket reminders, etc.  Which shouldnt be sent to my mail server by
> users anyway.  If anyone has a good way to kill these spam messages
> that would be great.

I agree with you. But I found that bogofilter is very good in finding spam mails
even if it is text from books or worse: apparently meaningful text regarding C++
programming and FireWire issues. bogofilter found this spam immediatly while I
needed to read the text twice.

At least I have no idea how to get rid of the not translateable Asian spam.

> ... Im getting a few more messages caught as spam that shouldnt be ...

You should train them as ham, this works fine (bogofilter -n). If these "ticket
reminders" are not wanted, you may use a .procmailrc for filtering them to
/dev/null.

Stefan