Cannot join environment?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Mar 28 05:06:19 CEST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:40:58 -0800
Bill Wohler wrote:

> Periodically, I run the following:
>
>   $ bogoutil -d wordlist.db > wordlist.txt
>
> Today, it produced this error:
>
>   bogoutil[9016]: cannot join environment: DB_VERSION_MISMATCH:
>   Database environment version mismatch
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> This is:
>
>   bogofilter version 1.0.2
>     Database: Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.4.20: (February 24,
>     2006) AUTO-XA
>
> A recent Debian GNU/Linux (etch) update may be related:
>
>     Aptitude 0.4.1: log report
>     Sat, Mar 18 2006 19:38:05 -0800
>     [UPGRADE] bogofilter 1.0.1-1 -> 1.0.2-2
>     [UPGRADE] bogofilter-bdb 1.0.1-1 -> 1.0.2-2
>     [UPGRADE] bogofilter-common 1.0.1-1 -> 1.0.2-2
>     [UPGRADE] libdb4.4 4.4.20-2 -> 4.4.20-3

Hi Bill,

This question was answered last December.  Googling for "cannot join
environment" provides the following info:

--- begin quote ---

The switch from DB 4.3 to 4.4 is most likely the problem.  Berkeley DB
is complaining about incompatible file formats.  If I recall correctly,
it's complaining about log files.

The best thing to do is, using the old bogoutil, dump the wordlist to a
text file and then (using the new bogoutil create a new wordlist in a
new directory).  Then you can rename directories and be off and
running.  The process would be (roughly):

   bogoutil-old -d $OLD_DIR/wordlist.db > wordlist.txt
   mkdir $NEW_DIR
   bogoutil-new -l $NEW_DIR/wordlist.db < wordlist.txt

--- end quote ---

As you post (in your followup message), 'bf_compact' produced a working
database for you.  Since bf_compact uses bogoutil to dump the old
database and create a completly new one (and then does some directory
renaming), you now have a new database with _new_ logfile(s).
BerkeleyDB 4.4 is happy with the new logfile (since it created it).  So
you're good to go!

Regards,