Bogofiler with a specified wordlist.db

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Tue Apr 4 16:35:44 CEST 2006

Christophe Journel wrote:
> don't u think that's a good idea to merge the 2 most powerfull antispam
> solution ?

Christophe, I see no advantage from running Spam Assassin in addition to
Bogofilter.  I first purge about 70-80% of my spam using DNSBLs like
Spamhaus (just to cut down on load), and then Bogofilter eliminates
99.999% of the rest of it.  Out of thousands of emails per week (the
majority of which are spam), I only receive 1-2 false negatives and 1-2
unsures.

I feel that adding Spam Assassin to the mix would only introduce false
positives, of which I currently recieve zero.  The reason is because
Spam Assassin is a procedural filter, and those rules might not apply to
everyone equally.  Bogofilter is a statistical filter, and so it only
learns rules which apply directly to you.  Bogofilter will eventually
learn all of the same rules as Spam Assassin, except for the ones that
don't apply.  Therefore, adding Spam Assassin to a Bogofilter setup
would only add invalid rules and create false positives.

You're better off just using Bogofilter.  Adding DNSBLs won't improve
effectiveness, just efficiency.  Adding procedural filters like Spam
Assassin will reduce both effectiveness and efficiency.

Tom