Bogofiler with a specified wordlist.db

mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Wed Apr 5 23:48:44 CEST 2006

Tom Anderson wrote:
> Christophe Journel wrote:
>
>> don't u think that's a good idea to merge the 2 most powerfull antispam
>> solution ?
>>

> Christophe, I see no advantage from running Spam Assassin in addition to
> Bogofilter.  I first purge about 70-80% of my spam using DNSBLs like
> Spamhaus (just to cut down on load), and then Bogofilter eliminates
> 99.999% of the rest of it.  Out of thousands of emails per week (the
> majority of which are spam), I only receive 1-2 false negatives and 1-2
> unsures.

sure but bayesian filters require training. so
- their accuracy is poor at start.
- for users who don't retrain the filter, accuracy may never be
satisfactory. (using a "global" wordlist may help, but not if these
users receive mail that is different from the one used to train the
global db).

Chris Idea is to "shoulder" (or boost?) bogo using SA. I would love to
see the results of this. (I find this better than using public corpuses).

for example, when you install bogo for the first time, you use SA too.
if SA score is "sure" (<0 or >10 for instance), then train bogofilter
with this email. There is still a risk of error (FN or FP) of course,
but for users who don't retrain bogofilter, this is better than nothing.

once the user's wordlist is "mature", SA can be skipped for that user.
> I feel that adding Spam Assassin to the mix would only introduce false
> positives, of which I currently recieve zero.
one can reduce this by using a conservative setup (disable or lower the
score of rules that generate FPs).