Newbie config problem

Jason Jablon jablonja at msu.edu
Sun Nov 27 18:19:25 CET 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 10:04 AM, David Relson wrote:

> Hello Jason,
>
> 0.13.7.2 ??? That's very, very old.  According to my records it dates
> back to July 2003.  The current version is 0.96.6 and is dated 12 Nov
> 2005.
>
> I don't know the standard names and locations for bogofilter files on
> Mac OS X.  Under Linux, FreeBSD, etc the standard name for the config
> file is bogofilter.cf and bogofilter will look for it in
> $HOME/.bogofilter/ and /etc/.  A config file is only needed for
> specifying non-standard option values.  If bogofitler can't find a
> config file, it will use its default values and will run perfectly
> well.
>
> Odds are that bogofilter is complaining because no wordlist can be
> found. Have you done any training, i.e. providing sample ham and spam
> messages to bogofilter so that it build a wordlist for using when
> classifying incoming messages?  Running a command "echo test |
> bogofilter -xd -vv" will give some information as to what file
> bogofilter is looking for (and failing to find).
>
> Bogofilter's capabilities and documentation have both been
> significantly enhanced since July 2003.  I strongly urge you to get
> the
> current version and read its docs.  Current source files are available
> from ftp://ftp.bogofilter.org/pub/outgoing/bogofilter or from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bogofilter.  Once you have unpacked
> the
> tarball, running "./configure && make && make check && make install"
> will build it, verify correct functioning on your machine, and install
> it.
>
> Regards from Ann Arbor,
>
> David

Thanks for the info. I ran echo test | bogofilter -xd -vv and got:

 > db_open( good, /Users/jasonjablon/.bogofilter/goodlist.db, 0 )
 > db_open( spam, /Users/jasonjablon/.bogofilter/spamlist.db, 0 )
 >    int  cnt   prob  spamicity histogram
 >  0.00    1 0.000592 0.000592 #
 >  0.10    0 0.000000 0.000592
 >  0.20    0 0.000000 0.000592
 >  0.30    0 0.000000 0.000592
 >  0.40    0 0.000000 0.000592
 >  0.50    0 0.000000 0.000592
 >  0.60    0 0.000000 0.000592
 >  0.70    0 0.000000 0.000592
 >  0.80    0 0.000000 0.000592
 >  0.90    0 0.000000 0.000592
 > db_close(good, /Users/jasonjablon/.bogofilter/goodlist.db, sync)
 > db_close(spam, /Users/jasonjablon/.bogofilter/spamlist.db, sync)

I did not know that the version I was running was so old. Sometimes
Fink is quite out of date. I will uninstall that version and upgrade.
I thought that I had been training bogofilter with a mutt macro I had
been using.

 > macro index d "<enter-command>unset wait_key\n\
 > <pipe-entry>bogofilter -n\n\<enter-command>set wait_key\n\
 > <delete-message>" "delete message as non-spam"macro index \ed
"<enter-command>unset > > wait_key\n\
 > <pipe-entry>bogofilter -s\n\
 > <enter-command>set wait_key\n\
 > <delete-message>" "delete message as spam"

Where am I going wrong? Or do I just need to install the new version
and do more training?

Thanks Again,

Jason Jablon