bf_compact

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat May 14 00:01:22 CEST 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:29:40 +0100
R Kimber wrote:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:28:28 +0200
> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Conclusion: If you are offended by the way bf_compact works, don't use
> > it. Now that bogofilter can automatically remove log files if running
> > in transactional mode, and bogoutil --db-prune=DIRECTORY can manually
> > purge excess log files, there's little reason to use bf_compact at
> > all.
>
> Yes.  Thanks.  I wasn't offended - just that I used it as advertised
> and my wordlist and config files disappeared.  I (mis-?)understood that
> David recommended that you should run it at regular intervals, but I'm
> happy not to do so.

I did?  Not that I recall, though I might have done so.  Compacting is
of questionable value.  A compacted database will allow the fastest
possible scoring since there's a minimum amount of data to read.  On
the other hand, writing will be slower since a maximum number of
data blocks will need to be written as splitting occurs to accommodate
new tokens.  Which is more important?  I don't know.

> It might still be better for those that use it if bf_compact got its
> transactional info from the config file, though, as there might be old
> unused log files around from a previous transactional usage - or
> wouldn't that matter?

Doesn't matter. :-)