bf_compact

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat May 14 20:18:54 CEST 2005

R Kimber <rkimber at ntlworld.com> writes:

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:28:28 +0200
> Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Conclusion: If you are offended by the way bf_compact works, don't use
>> it. Now that bogofilter can automatically remove log files if running
>> in transactional mode, and bogoutil --db-prune=DIRECTORY can manually
>> purge excess log files, there's little reason to use bf_compact at
>> all.
>
> Yes.  Thanks.  I wasn't offended - just that I used it as advertised
> and my wordlist and config files disappeared.

If your *wordlist* disappeared, then that is a genuine bug that needs to
be fixed - in that case, have my apologies for mis-reading your
previous mail. Configuration files in .bogofilter? DB_CONFIG perhaps, we
are copying that if present, but no other configuration files should be
in that directory, no?

> I (mis-?)understood that
> David recommended that you should run it at regular intervals, but I'm
> happy not to do so.

I am not running any maintenance on my .bogofilter directory except
Amanda backups.

> It might still be better for those that use it if bf_compact got its
> transactional info from the config file, though, as there might be old
> unused log files around from a previous transactional usage - or
> wouldn't that matter?

That wouldn't work reliably. I don't need to configure transactions, I
can also just create the wordlist (i. e. the very first registration of
spam or ham) in transactional mode and bogofilter will remember this,
but couldn't tell from the configuration that you were using transactions.