Success!

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun May 1 01:42:41 CEST 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 18:59:38 -0400
JoeHill wrote:

> Finally got Bogofilter working properly, for some reason the first example
> Procmail recipe in the manpage does not work for me (everything gets sent to the
> spam bin, even though the mail is marked as ham). Must be something with my
> system. Anyhow, I used the second one:

...[snip]...

> ...and all works exceedingly well. Haven't had any spam or false positives in
> two days. Great piece of work, all!

Congratulations on a job well done!

> One thing, and I don't know if this is just the way it was packaged for Debian,
> but the default config in /etc/bogofilter.cf is to add 'X-Bogosity: Spam' to the
> headers, while the above recipe from the manpage is looking for 'X-Bogosity:
> Yes'. That one had me scratching my head for a bit, but I eventually figured it
> out.

Originally, bogofilter used tags "Yes" and "No" to identify spam and
non-spam.  That was appropriate because bogofilter was answering the
question "Is this spam?"

Fairly recently, the tags "Yes" and "No" were changed to "Spam" and
"Ham".  I just checked the documents and found a couple of places in
the FAQs that were out of date.

Please double check where you saw the errors and let me know if they
were in the FAQs or elsewhere.

> Anyhow, wanted to say thanks to all for a great project that is really working
> well for me. Cheers!

Do keep monitoring the results.  You can expect to encounter false
positives, though there's no telling whether that will happen sooner or
later.

Regards,