Success!

JoeHill joehill at sympatico.ca
Sun May 1 16:29:57 CEST 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:42:41 -0400
David Relson disseminated the following:

> Congratulations on a job well done!

Thanks, but I had a fair bit of help. Before I signed on to the Bogofilter list,
some people on my local LUG list gave me some pointers, esp about using the
second Procmail recipe instead of

:0HB:
* ? bogofilter
$MAILDIR/spam

> > One thing, and I don't know if this is just the way it was packaged for
> > Debian, but the default config in /etc/bogofilter.cf is to add 'X-Bogosity:
> > Spam' to the headers, while the above recipe from the manpage is looking for
> > eventually figured it out.
>
> Originally, bogofilter used tags "Yes" and "No" to identify spam and
> non-spam.  That was appropriate because bogofilter was answering the
> question "Is this spam?"
>
> Fairly recently, the tags "Yes" and "No" were changed to "Spam" and
> "Ham".  I just checked the documents and found a couple of places in
> the FAQs that were out of date.
>
> Please double check where you saw the errors and let me know if they
> were in the FAQs or elsewhere.

That was the only thing I noticed (ie. the difference between the default conf
file and the example recipe in the manpage). As far as the FAQ, there's a lot I
don't understand, but that's because I'm pretty clued about a lot of stuff. I
would say that for a 'newb' like me, the FAQ was more than sufficient, along
with the manpage, to get someone going.

> > Anyhow, wanted to say thanks to all for a great project that is really
> > working well for me. Cheers!
>
> Do keep monitoring the results.  You can expect to encounter false
> positives, though there's no telling whether that will happen sooner or
> later.

Ya, I have a tail window showing me the mail that Bogofilter is catching, and so
far 100% accuracy. That may be because I had not emptied Sylpheed's trash folder
in over a year, and had a lot of spam to train with. For once my procrastination
and laziness, and being a packrat (non-spam) paid off :-)

Thanks again, and I'd ask you how in hell Bogofilter does this, but I probably
wouldn't understand the answer!

BTW, do you prefer that I reply to you and Cc the list, or just reply list?

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
10:08:40 up 69 days, 11:17, 7 users, load average: 0.37, 0.10, 0.03