A tristate question.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Mar 19 15:18:18 CET 2005

Sorry about that.  Wrong keystroke sent incomplete message.

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:04:51 +0100
Laurent Darrambide wrote:

> I understood now the way to reclassify mail, but i'm always puzzled by
> the unsure mode.
>
> I trained bogofilter with >30k good and >12k spam messages.
>
> I now don't use anymore the -u switch, only relying on the flag mode (eg
> no autolearning anymore).
>
> I read the docs (before being asked to) but I still have few questions:
>
> 1. I don't acheive to manage thresholds correctly:
>
> I've got headers saying

> These are actual(real) spams, but flagged as unsure.
> How and what to modify to get them flagged as spam?

The spam_cutoff option in bogofilter.cf sets the dividing line.  If you
want the above messages to be considered spam, set the line to
"spam_cutoff=0.49" (or something similar).

Warning: Whenever you lower your spam cutoff, you increase the
likelihood of false positives (ham classified as spam).  Be sure to
monitory your spam after such a change.

> 2. In my actual mode, will bogofilter -s update the database and mark
> further identical spam (score and/or identical mails) as spam?

That will generally be the case.  Remember that messages have headers
and bodies and that two messages with identical bodies (content) and
different headers will have different scores.

> 3. Since 0.94.1 upgrade, I dont have  __db.*,lockfile and log.* files.
> It seems anormal to me, bf_resize doesn't work anymore (No database
> files in "." found)

Did you build a new wordlist?  0.94.x defaults to having transactions
disabled, so those files aren't present.  Use

  bogofilter --db-transaction=yes

to turn them on..

> 4. I hate the ## stuff in config for selecting options. A more "normal"
> xxx=yes or xxx=1 style would be more intuitive I suppose.

I gather you'd rather have the default options enabled (no '#') and
just use '#' to comment out alternate settings?

HTH,