A tristate question.

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Mar 19 19:00:47 CET 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:30:03 +0100
Laurent Darrambide wrote:

> OOps, partial message only the first time.
>
> > > 2. In my actual mode, will bogofilter -s update the database and mark
> > > further identical spam (score and/or identical mails) as spam?
> >
> > That will generally be the case.  Remember that messages have headers
> > and bodies and that two messages with identical bodies (content) and
> > different headers will have different scores.
>
> Ok, but words implied in spam or ham must be quite similar, and thus
> quite identical in scoring "weight", I suppose.
>

> > > 3. Since 0.94.1 upgrade, I dont have  __db.*,lockfile and log.* files.
> > > It seems anormal to me, bf_resize doesn't work anymore (No database
> > > files in "." found)
> >
> > Did you build a new wordlist?
>
> Yes.
>
> >0.94.x defaults to having transactions
> > disabled, so those files aren't present.  Use
> >
> >   bogofilter --db-transaction=yes
> >
> > to turn them on..
>

> I'll do it. But it is not very clear in the Debian package docs :-(
> Do I use bogofilter --db-transaction=yes -s <path_to_spam>, or is there
> an option in bogofilter.cf?

Look in bogofilter.cf for the TRANSACTIONS section :-)

> > > 4. I hate the ## stuff in config for selecting options. A more "normal"
> > > xxx=yes or xxx=1 style would be more intuitive I suppose.
> >
> > I gather you'd rather have the default options enabled (no '#') and
> > just use '#' to comment out alternate settings?
>
> So I suppose I complety badly understood the option selection then.

So it seems :-<  AFAICT, using '#' and '##' is pretty much standard ...

> Expert from the /etc/bogofilter.cf file
> #header_format = %h: %c, tests=bogofilter, spamicity=%p, version=%v
> #terse_format = %1.1c %f
> #log_header_format = %h: %c, spamicity=%p, version=%v
> #log_update_format = register-%r, %w words, %m messages
> ###log_header_format = %h: %c, spamicity=%f, ipaddr=%A, queueID=%Q,
> msgID=%I, version=%v
> #
> ##### TERSE
> ##
> ##	if enabled, format the X-Bogosity using the 'terse_format'
> specificaton.
> ##
> ##terse=no
>
> There are #,##, and ### options.
>
> I thought that only the one with 1 # in the beginning were selected
> (like header_format) and the other ones (###log_header_format,
> ##terse=no) were not selected.
>
> I'm completly stupid, I can't understand the convention.

First of all, anything after a '#' is a comment.  Bogofilter's parser
doesn't really care where they are.  They can appear at the beginning,
middle, or end of the line.  A line with '#' as it's first character is
a comment line.

In an unmodified bogofilter.cf.example file, a single '#' indicates the
values that are built into bogofilter's executable.  Those lines aren't
truly necessary, but they provide a place for customizing.  Lines with
'##' (two of them) show alternate values -- typically to illustrate how
the command can be used.  My copy of the file doesn't have any '###'
lines.  Evidently that's a Debian modification.  More that 3 hash marks
show a comment or heading.  (An abbreviated form of this information is
at the beginning of the file).

HTH,