parameters [was: A Tale of Two Sisters]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jul 27 23:45:07 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 09:45:04 -0400 (EDT)
Tom Allison wrote:

> >Pavel is right about -M (for mailboxes).
> >
> >I'd suggest using
> >
> >  bogofilter -n -v -M < sister1
> >
> >for training as the switches indicate:
> >
> >   -n -- for training ham
> >   -v -- print summary counts of messages and tokens
> >   -M -- input is mailbox format
> >
> >To check scoring after registration, you can use:
> >
> >  bogofilter -v -M < sister1
> >

> I apologize if I don't RTFM, but I don't have them in front of me, but
> IIRC this morning I started a job that looked maybe something like this:
>
> bogotune -n mailbox1 -s mailbox
>
> Sounds minor so ignore me if you want.  But is there any merit in getting
> more consistency on the command line options?
>
> I've been reading "The Design of Everyday Things", sorry.

Hi Tom,

Bogotune uses '-n' and '-s' to indicate ham and spam -- just like
bogofilter.  However bogotune requires _both_ kinds of messages to do
its thing.

On the other hand, bogofilter is designed as a filter which takes its
input from stdin.  When registering, i.e. using '-n', '-s', '-N',
'-S' (or appropriate combinations) it's restricted to a single message
type (ham, spam, ham to be registered as spam, or spam registered as
ham).  Given this, it doesn't make sense to allow '-n ham -s spam' for
bogofilter.

Sorry :-<