simplicity vs safety with complexity

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jan 25 23:19:22 CET 2005

Jef Poskanzer <jef at acme.com> writes:

> Plus, would I still be able to continue distributing my spamwords
> database (http://www.acme.com/spamwords/) with the transactional
> stuff?

The standard interfaces will still work: provide the output of bogoutil
-d for download.

This has the additional advantage that a downloader can use it with
_any_ database, be that Berkeley DB with or without transactional
support, with any Berkeley DB version, or QDBM, TDB, or SQLite. For the
current scheme to work, the downloader must use a sufficient similar
system setup to yours for your spamwords database to work, notably same
endianness, and newer or same Berkeley DB version in similar setup.