multiple wordlists & transactions [was]: simplicity vs safety with complexity

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jan 26 01:02:33 CET 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:09:50 -0800
Jef Poskanzer wrote:

> >My personal preference in this case is for speed & simplicity.
> >I've never had database corruption in 2-3 years of BF use.  And
> >I maintain a running ham/spam corpus anyway, so re-training
> >from scratch is trivial.  Even if that failed, the worst thing
> >that would happen would be that my users get some spam for a
> >day or two.  (Actually, it would be good for them! :)  I don't
> >view the wordlist as critical data.
> >
> >-Matt, sticking with 0.92.8 for now
>
> What he said.  Plus, would I still be able to continue distributing
> my spamwords database (http://www.acme.com/spamwords/) with the
> transactional stuff?

Hi Jef,

Yes.  As answered in my post on "merging databases & multiple
wordlists".  With the transactional stuff, the directory holding the
wordlist is formally known as a "database environment" and contains
files for locking, logging, configuration, etc.  For the transactional
locking to work properly with multiple wordlists, all the wordlists need
to be in the same directory, i.e. under control of the same environment.

HTH,