How to limit log file generation???

Joseph Luk joespam_bogofilter at choberi.com
Mon Jan 24 02:43:20 CET 2005

I'm having problems with the "autoremove" option.  According to
README.db, you use the following line in DB_CONFIG:
	set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
However, according to a post on this list from last November, you use
the following line:
	set_flags DB_DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
(http://www.bogofilter.org/pipermail/bogofilter/2004-November/
006924.html)

Both of these, unfortunately, result in the following error:
	bogoutil: DB_ENV->open, err: Invalid argument

Maybe my version of BerkeleyDB isn't recent enough to support this
flag, but without access to the db_* commands I have no way of finding
the version directly.  Is there a bogoutil option to show the
BerkeleyDB version?

I realize that logs are useful, but for a virtual hosting type account
with a limited disk quota, it makes more sense to just retrain from
mailboxes in the unlikely event of a failure.  I'm surprised that
others haven't run into this problem??

> The first question is why lots of logs are created.

I'm using a "honeypot" type approach where specific addresses collect
nothing but spam and continually train the filter.  I wonder if adding
sleep(5) (or so) prior to calling bogofilter from procmail would
improve performance?  That way, if a spammer sends a bunch of messages
all at once, bogofilter has a chance to update its database on honeypot
mail before filtering real mail.  Anyway, I digress.

Thank you so much for your help, David and others!

Cheers,
Joe