How to limit log file generation???

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Jan 23 14:31:08 CET 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:16:25 +0000 (UTC)
Joseph Luk wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How do you prevent bogofilter / BerkeleyDB from generating log.* files
> until it eats up your entire disk quota??
>
> This has got to be a FAQ, but I can't find any mention of it in any of
> the docs, or by searching this group, the Slashdot groups, and others.
> Am I just missing something?
>
> Right now, I have to *manually* run "bogoutil --db-prune" every few
> days, or my whole mail account goes down in a flurry of log.* files.
> I'm not allowed to run cron jobs on that server so I can't set it up to
> clean itself.  Isn't there some kind of setting to limit the number of
> log files that are generated?
>
> Please help!  Thanks!

Hello Joseph,

Berkeley DB uses the log files to ensure database coherency in the event
of software or hardware failure while writing to the database.  Hence
they're valuable.

The first question is why lots of logs are created.  My bet is that
you're using '-u', which causes a lot of database activity.   A
complementary config option "thresh_update"  which sets an auto-update
threshold, i.e. tells bogofilter _not_ to update with easy ham and spam.
For example, my server has "thresh_update=0.01" so that ham scoring 0.01
or less and spam scoring 0.99 (or above) does not go into the wordlist.

An alternate approach is outlined in doc/README.db.  Look for the
"AUTOREMOVE" option of the DB_CONFIG file.  It should cure your problem!

Using both approaches should work very nicely!

HTH,