How to limit log file generation???

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 24 16:52:35 CET 2005

Joseph Luk <joespam_bogofilter at choberi.com> writes:

> I'm having problems with the "autoremove" option.  According to
> README.db, you use the following line in DB_CONFIG:
> 	set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
> However, according to a post on this list from last November, you use
> the following line:
> 	set_flags DB_DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
> (http://www.bogofilter.org/pipermail/bogofilter/2004-November/
> 006924.html)

The former is the right one, the minimum version is documented in
doc/README.db, 4.2.

> Both of these, unfortunately, result in the following error:
> 	bogoutil: DB_ENV->open, err: Invalid argument
>
> Maybe my version of BerkeleyDB isn't recent enough to support this
> flag, but without access to the db_* commands I have no way of finding
> the version directly.  Is there a bogoutil option to show the
> BerkeleyDB version?

Yes, bogoutil -V (2nd line).

If you are allowed to run cron jobs the latest bogofilter versions
support "bogoutil --db-prune=$HOME/.bogofilter" to get rid of the logs
on older Berkeley DB versions - just run that command daily.

> I'm using a "honeypot" type approach where specific addresses collect
> nothing but spam and continually train the filter.  I wonder if adding
> sleep(5) (or so) prior to calling bogofilter from procmail would
> improve performance?  That way, if a spammer sends a bunch of messages
> all at once, bogofilter has a chance to update its database on honeypot
> mail before filtering real mail.  Anyway, I digress.

Might work, as long as you aren't receiving more than 3600/sleeptime *
threads mails per hour on average. Let us know how it works out in practice.