bogofilter maintenance

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 17 00:57:03 CET 2005

Clint Adams <schizo at debian.org> writes:

> painless upgrade.  There's no way that the Debian packaging system can be
> aware of all the potential bogofilter databases on your system, so I'm
> afraid that automatic database upgrades are impossible unless they are
> supported by the bogofilter binary itself; this has been discussed, but
> it is felt that it would be too risky to do such a thing.

Not quite.

1. the database files (*.db)

2. the environment and log files (__db.*, log.*)

Details:

1. has been unchanged in a long time, you can upgrade from as far back
   as 3.1 to anything as far forward as 4.3 without upgrading the
   database, so the actual reason is "we don't need it". This certainly
   isn't biting Debian unstable or testing.

2. requires updates under certain circumstances.
   - you upgraded Berkeley DB from a 3.X version to a 4.Y version
   - you upgraded Berkeley DB from 4.0 or 4.1 to 4.2 or 4.3
   - you upgraded Berkeley DB from 4.2 to 4.3.

   If either is true, the _OLD_ version must run

     bogoutil --db-remove-environment ~/.bogofilter

   once for each of the environments before the upgrade can succeed. No
   bogofilter related process must be run between removing the
   environment and completion of the upgrade, to avoid generating a new
   environment (automatically) with the old version.

   Running this command is safe, it will run recovery before removing
   the environment.