bogofilter maintenance

prlwytzkofski2000 at xs4all.nl prlwytzkofski2000 at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 16 19:03:54 CET 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 12:09:14PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:
> > "This looks to me like an issue with Debian builds of bogofilter and
> > Berkeley DB.  Have you queried the Debian project about this problem?"
> >

> > ---
> > Prlwytzkofski : I didn't , but it sounds to me like mr. Relson is
> > correct. A warning during "aptitude upgrade" would have been nice, so
> > there is time to dump the database beforehand. Or maybe just do a full
> > DB dump/backup/switch with each bogofilter upgrade, just to be safe.
> > Don't know enough about apt/dpkg to know if that's even possible though...
> >
> > Anyway, just fyi, next time I will follow this procedure before upgrading.
>
> If you had had apt-listchanges installed, it would have informed you
> prior to installing the .deb, and listed a step-by-step upgrade
> procedure for you to follow.
>
> Since you didn't, you could have looked in /usr/share/doc/bogofilter and
> found information about what you could have done to achieve a relatively
> painless upgrade.  There's no way that the Debian packaging system can be
> aware of all the potential bogofilter databases on your system, so I'm
> afraid that automatic database upgrades are impossible unless they are
> supported by the bogofilter binary itself; this has been discussed, but
> it is felt that it would be too risky to do such a thing.
>
> Remember, you are using a package from 'testing' or 'unstable', and that
> means assuming additional risk of breakage.

I'm afraid I was not aware of the existence of apt-listchanges, that
would have saved me a lot of trouble, but it has just been installed.

Based on the information in /usr/share/doc/bogofilter I've written a
little script to run weekly, which does a "bogoutil --db_verify" before
running bf_tar to take exports.

Learnt some new things today...

Thanks for all the help,