bogofilter maintenance

Clint Adams schizo at debian.org
Sun Jan 16 18:09:14 CET 2005

> "This looks to me like an issue with Debian builds of bogofilter and
> Berkeley DB.  Have you queried the Debian project about this problem?"
>

> ---
> Prlwytzkofski : I didn't , but it sounds to me like mr. Relson is
> correct. A warning during "aptitude upgrade" would have been nice, so
> there is time to dump the database beforehand. Or maybe just do a full
> DB dump/backup/switch with each bogofilter upgrade, just to be safe.
> Don't know enough about apt/dpkg to know if that's even possible though...
>
> Anyway, just fyi, next time I will follow this procedure before upgrading.

If you had had apt-listchanges installed, it would have informed you
prior to installing the .deb, and listed a step-by-step upgrade
procedure for you to follow.

Since you didn't, you could have looked in /usr/share/doc/bogofilter and
found information about what you could have done to achieve a relatively
painless upgrade.  There's no way that the Debian packaging system can be
aware of all the potential bogofilter databases on your system, so I'm
afraid that automatic database upgrades are impossible unless they are
supported by the bogofilter binary itself; this has been discussed, but
it is felt that it would be too risky to do such a thing.

Remember, you are using a package from 'testing' or 'unstable', and that
means assuming additional risk of breakage.