Is it okay to use BF read-only over NFS?

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Wed Feb 16 00:32:41 CET 2005

You also will want to update on success not just error (you may be doing this?)

We do something similar - but we use imap so the mail folders stay on the
server. (imap may not be a wise choice with lots of users or slow connections)
NFS 'should' work - there are some bugs with the 2.6 kernel that may or not be
resolved by now with nfs and only with some files system (use jfs and you won't
have problems.)

What we do (and it works quite well with a few number of users) is that all the
mail is bogo-filtered by the MTA (Exim in our case) and the miss tagged get
placed in imap folders that we have bogofilter scan - updating the misses is a
deal we run only once a week -(bogofilter works that well with enough training).

Be sure every process uses the same user or a special umask to update the data
base or you will have troubles with db corruption and no error messages to point
to it.

If a user doesn't get enough mail training takes to long - so sharing the
training with a few users works pretty well. A typical sole user might need a
few years of mail to train on their own mail only.

I also recommend archiving both your ham and spam so if you ever need to
recreate your dbs its available (plus you never know, it might come in handy if
there is ever a class action law suit against the spammers so you will have
proof they spamed you<$$>.)

Karl Schmidt                         EMail Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    		       WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.