Is it okay to use BF read-only over NFS?

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Tue Feb 15 19:29:33 CET 2005

I'm in the process of consolidating and breaking apart functionality of
some of our mail servers and would like to move towards a system like
this:
        [ NFS ]
 [ MAIL 1 ] [ MAIL 2 ]

Where the "MAIL" servers are qmail-ldap clusters that do SMTP / POP /
and IMAP.  All mail and individual's .bogofilter/ directories will be
stored on the central NFS server.

This came up before:
  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.bogofilter.general/9140/match=nfs
And I would like to run by my setup by everyone:

1) incoming email is sent to the correct server and is run through a
   dot qmail (like procmail) script that puts it in a folder if it is
   spam:
     | condtomaildir ./Maildir/.spam/ /usr/bin/bogofilter -c
       /home/vmail/.bogofilter/bogofilter.cf -d ./.bogofilter
   so this is *read only* access to the database file
2) mail that is incorrectly scored is moved into a make(good|spam)
   folder.  Every 30 minutes the *NFS server* goes through those folders
   and does the appropriate -Ns or -Sn fix to the word list.

So at any given moment there can be N number of processes accessing a
user's wordlist.db in read only (-v) mode as mail can come in at any
time.  At a timed interval only 1 process will update the user's
wordlist (-Ns or -Sn).  I can't guarantee that during an update of the
wordlist an email will come in and try and do a -v on it.

Does this sound okay to everyone?  I'm currently using 0.92.8  --
should I migrate to 0.93.5?

Chris