bogofilter-0.94.4 - new current release

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Apr 9 14:12:02 CEST 2005

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005 12:55:53 +0100
R Kimber wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:01:38 -0400
> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> > Early transactional versions of bogofilter were built for Debian using
> > one version of Berkeley DB (4.2.52 I believe) and later transactional
> > versions have been built with another (4.3.27??).  Between 4.2 and 4.3
> > the format of the transaction logs have changed and 4.3 can't read 4.2
> > logs.
>
> Thanks for your helpful answer.
>
> I'm a bit puzzled, though.  I have 4.2 and I built bogofilter myself. I
> haven't used Debian packages.
>
> I have previously wondered whether I really needed the transactional
> version, so maybe I'll try reverting to non-transactional bogofilter
> and see what happens.
>
> - Richard.

Richard,

You mentioned Ubuntu, which is Debian based, and a hoary to warty
upgrade.  I assumed that was how your bogofilter got upgraded (since
Debian makes it available).  If your upgrade included db4.2 to db4.3,
then building bogofilter-0.94.4 would use db4.3 and would trigger the
transaction log problem.

If you only have 4.2 on your system, then I've missed something.
Perhaps Matthias knows and will add to this thread.

See my posting of a few minutes back for a method of switching from TXN
to NON-TXN modes.  If you make the switch, it's wise to run a cron job
to check that wordlist.db is fine and to back it up.  I use (roughly):

   cp wordlist.db tmp/wordlist.db
   db_verify tmp/wordlist.db
   if [ "$?" = 0 ] ; then
      DATE=`date +%m%d`
      mv tmp/wordlist.db bak/wordlist.$DATE.db
   fi
bf