bogofilter-0.94.4 - new current release

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sat Apr 9 02:01:38 CEST 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 22:15:09 +0100
R Kimber wrote:

> I don't know that this is a bogofilter issue per se, so forgive me if
> it's not.
>
> I have upgraded to 0.94.4 and all seemed to go well, though I didn't
> actually need to reclassify any messages before I  ...... upgraded my
> Ubuntu system from the 'warty' system to 5.04 'hoary'.
>
> Now, when I run
> bogofilter -s -e < message
> I get:
> bogofilter: cannot join environment: Invalid argument
>
> I'd appreciate any guidance you can offer.
> Thanks,
> - Richard
>  --
> Richard Kimber
> http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/

H'lo Richard,

At my local LUG meeting last month I learned that Ubuntu is Debian
based.  The problem you've got was first reported by a Debian upgrader,
so you've probably got the same thing going on.

Early transactional versions of bogofilter were built for Debian using
one version of Berkeley DB (4.2.52 I believe) and later transactional
versions have been built with another (4.3.27??).  Between 4.2 and 4.3
the format of the transaction logs have changed and 4.3 can't read 4.2
logs.

Here's something to try:  Copy wordlist.db to a new directory.  Then
run db4.3_verify to test the integrity.  If OK, then move all the
BerkeleyDB files out of the original directory and move the copy of
wordlist.db into the original directory.

Additional checking can be done by running "bogoutil -d wordlist.db >
wordlist.txt".  If the end of the alphabet is present, the dump is
successful (indicating the integrity of the database).  You can then
build a new wordlist (using bogoutil -l wordlist.db) and swap versions.

In any version swap, make sure that the old log files get moved (as
they're the reason for the error message).

HTH,