copying wordlists [was: upgrade 0.93.1]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Nov 24 02:46:20 CET 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:31:42 -0500
Tom Allison wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:36:22 -0500
> > Tom Allison wrote:
> >
> > ...[snip]...

> >there>>have been a log of changes.  For one, there's the new idea of
> >a>>"database environment" with attendant status files, e.g. __db.*,
> >bf_compact>>are available on sourceforge.

> >>Ok, you get a buck.
> >>So I can't use the bogoutil -d / bogoutil -l scripts to optimize the
> >>database?
> >

> > Tom,
> >
> > With the addition of transaction support, database files now exist
> > in the context of a database environment.  This means that you
> > can't just (willy-nilly) copy wordlist.db from one place to
> > another.  A simple copy doesn't preserve the logfiles and (if
> > the database is being written during the copy) can produce a b0rked
> > databbase.
> >
> > bogoutil dump/load _can_ be used to create a new, compact
> > environment from an old one.  However the extra files need to be
> > dealt with, which is exactly what bf_compact takes care of.
> > bf_compact performs the proper operations in the proper order to
> > ensure the database environment is whole and complete when the
> > script finishes.
> >

> I don't have anything called bf_compact in my $PATH.
>
> I don't move my wordlists around from partition to partition, just
> rename.  So I think that I'm relatively safe for now.
>
> But the bogoutil dump/load isn't all that's needed to compact the
> database... ?

As stated above, bf_compact is available on sourceforge.  0.93.1 was
released with lots of documentation, but not the bf_copy and bf_compact
scripts.  People having trouble with copying and compacting wordlists
because they hadn't read the documentation prompted writing the scripts.
 The next release will include the scripts.  However it'll be a little
while before the release because Matthias is working on some thorny
issues with respect to environments and using multiple wordlists.

If you need to respond to this message, please use the mailing
list.  It's inefficient for me to answer multiple private messages on
subjects covered on the list.

Thank you.

David Relson                   Osage Software Systems, Inc.
relson at osagesoftware.com       Ann Arbor, MI 48103
www.osagesoftware.com          tel:  734.821.8800