copying wordlists [was: upgrade 0.93.1]

Eric Wood eric at interplas.com
Wed Nov 24 04:32:15 CET 2004

    ----- Original Message -----
From: "David Relson"
>> But the bogoutil dump/load isn't all that's needed to compact the
>> database... ?
>
> As stated above, bf_compact is available on sourceforge.  0.93.1 was
> released with lots of documentation, but not the bf_copy and bf_compact
> scripts.  People having trouble with copying and compacting wordlists
> because they hadn't read the documentation prompted writing the scripts.
> The next release will include the scripts.  However it'll be a little
> while before the release because Matthias is working on some thorny
> issues with respect to environments and using multiple wordlists.

Yeah, bogoutil -d | bogoutil -l compact trick would have tripped me up too
since it is a long time FAQ.

Can bogoutil issue a warning message and bail if we're using a transaction
database?  That way we're covered.  Also maybe a bogoutil --force if we
really mean what we're doing against a transactional database.  Or maybe
bogoutil could just be a wrapper for bf_compact/bf_copy for us old dogs that
are slow at learning new tricks ;-)?

We definitely need an FAQ about doing a bf_compact against a live database -
or are the delivery agents still have to temporarily halt till the bf_copy
is complete like it's always been?

-eric wood