copying wordlists [was: upgrade 0.93.1]

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Nov 24 02:10:23 CET 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:36:22 -0500
Tom Allison wrote:

...[snip]...

> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > I bet a buck that you haven't read the RELEASE.NOTES or README.db
> > files. With the addition of transaction capabilities to 0.93.x there
> > have been a log of changes.  For one, there's the new idea of a
> > "database environment" with attendant status files, e.g. __db.*,
> > lockfile-*, etc and log files.  Simply copying wordlist.db from one
> > place to another is not a good idea.  Scripts bf_copy and bf_compact
> > are available on sourceforge.
> >
> > I strongly urge you to read the above mentioned files and use the
> > scripts.
> >

> Ok, you get a buck.
> So I can't use the bogoutil -d / bogoutil -l scripts to optimize the
> database?

Tom,

With the addition of transaction support, database files now exist in
the context of a database environment.  This means that you
can't just (willy-nilly) copy wordlist.db from one place to
another.  A simple copy doesn't preserve the logfiles and (if
the database is being written during the copy) can produce a b0rked
databbase.

bogoutil dump/load _can_ be used to create a new, compact environment
from an old one.  However the extra files need to be dealt with, which
is exactly what bf_compact takes care of.  bf_compact performs the
proper operations in the proper order to ensure the database environment
is whole and complete when the script finishes.