Fedora Core 2 Berkeley problems

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Nov 21 23:44:06 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, David Relson wrote:

> That message comes from line 999 of datastore_db.c.  If you're so
> inclined, experiment with the flags passed to dbe->open() just before
> 999 and see which one causes db4.3 to complain.

"Works for me", so either DB isn't comfortable with the threading/mutex
implementation that the system offered or the DB build is hosed.

> 0.92.8 working fine is not at all surprising.  The changes to support
> transactions are quite large.  BerkeleyDB appears to be evolving
> rapidly.

It has calmed down, they're doing one point release a year and perhaps a
bugfix patch or two in between, and no huge features IMO, at least not
those I'd consider useful for bogofilter.

> While that's probably a good thing, it makes life difficult
> for application that need to deal with the APIs (which change with
> every BerkeleyDB enhancement).

That is indeed a major annoyance, but...

> Without a doubt we've stepped into that
> tarpit with FC2.

...Todd's issue appears to be a deep ABI issue. Some versions seem to
require DB_PRIVATE for the environment, mine don't. And I have them all
here and tried 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 with bogofilter 0.93.0
before I flagged it ready for release. I added 4.3 support to bogofilter
0.93.1.