Fedora Core 2 Berkeley problems

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Nov 21 23:39:33 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Todd Slater wrote:

> With 0.93.1, built from .tar.gz.
>
> In upgrading I switched from RH 9 to Fedora Core 2. Everything I try to
> do with Berkeley gives the error:  Berkeley DB library configured to
> support only DB_PRIVATE environments

Todd,

apparently the Fedora Core 2 build of Berkeley DB was somehow "stripped
down" and does not include support for shared environments (as opposed
to private environments), but bogofilter needs the shared version to
work properly.

If you'd like to try building Berkeley DB from a tarball, see
http://www.sleepycat.com/ for downloads, and pick the version that
matches Red Hat Linux v9's version, to save yourself the hassle of a
database upgrade before you're comfortable with the whole system.

Any BerkeleyDB version from 3.3 to 4.2 will surely work, older versions
(back to 3.0) will require bogofilter 0.93.0 or newer, and 4.3 will
require bogofilter 0.93.1 or newer.

To build BerkeleyDB:

# safe to do this as unprivileged user:
gunzip -c db-4.2.52.tar.gz | tar -xf -
cd db-4.2.52/build_unix/
../dist/configure && make
# (become root if you aren't, with su for instance)
make install

After that, configure bogofilter with

# as user:
./configure --with-libdb-prefix=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2
make
make check
# become root
make install-strip

should work and produce a working version.