Fedora Core 2 Berkeley problems

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Nov 21 02:07:33 CET 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 19:43:11 -0500
Todd Slater wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 07:08:24PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:32:49 -0500
> > Todd Slater wrote:

> > ...[snip]...
> >
> > > The specific error I get when trying bogoutil -d is DB_ENV->open,
> > > err: 22, Invalid argument
> <snip>
> > Does the message appear with a plain old "bogoutil -d wordist.db"
> > command?
>
> Yes, I was attempting to update/convert my old wordlist.db with
> bogoutil -d wordlist.db >wordlist.txt

> > > I think that's a bit beyond my ability just yet. Good-ish news is
> > > that an RPM for 0.92.8 works OK. Go figure.
> >
> > 0.92.8 working fine is not at all surprising.  The changes to
> > support transactions are quite large.  BerkeleyDB appears to be
> > evolving rapidly.  While that's probably a good thing, it makes life
> > difficult for application that need to deal with the APIs (which
> > change with every BerkeleyDB enhancement).  Without a doubt we've
> > stepped into that tarpit with FC2.
>
> Thanks for the explanation; I'm just happy to be using bogofilter as I
> was afraid the BerkeleyDB error was going to preclude me from using
> *any* version.
>
> Best,
> Todd

You were smart to go back to 0.92.8.  Evidently it's happier with the
environment it was built with.  'Tisn't fully clear (to me) whether the
difference is a newer BerkeleyDB or the new bogofilter version.  One way
or another, 0.93.2 will be out within a week.  If that doesn't fix the
problem, then it's on to 0.93.3.

Cheers!