Safe to use bogofilter over NFS?

Glenn Morris gmorris+bf at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 18 14:33:44 CET 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:

> It is not "make check" that is different, but versions 0.93.0 and
> newer are different from 0.92.8, as is detailed in the
> RELEASE.NOTES. I may need to add a note about NFS.

I think such a note would be helpful. Also a comment in the relevant
section of the FAQ; since it basically gives wrong information now.

> Bogofilter 0.93.0 and newer use the Berkeley DB Transactional Data
> Store, which writes a Berkeley DB environment - and _this_ does not
> work with the database in NFS.

Thanks for the explanation.

Please consider this another request for a configuration option to
disable the transaction feature. It's a feature I have no need for
(it's easy to restore the wordlist from backup, or regenerate it); and
as it stands it prevents me from using new versions of bogofilter at
all (though I guess I could look at the alternative --with-database
options).