Safe to use bogofilter over NFS?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Nov 18 13:48:43 CET 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but transactions are needed when reads and
> write must be supported concurrently.  If NFS usage is restricted to
> read-only operations, then there are no problems.

Transactions are supposed, among others, to support isolation (as you
mentioned), durability (as my primary incentive to implement it),
consistency and atomicity (not yet completely implemented in
bogofilter's structure).

Limiting NFS usage to read-only is not possible with the current
bogofilter because of the fine-grained read locking that is still
required, and I don't have an idea how we could do that at this time.

The quick solution would be to use Berkeley DB's RPC server/client model
as an experiment, but it comes without access control. OTOH, many NFS
implementations aren't authenticated either, so there'd be little
difference. http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/rpc/intro.html