Safe to use bogofilter over NFS?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Nov 18 15:01:27 CET 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:33:44 +0000
Glenn Morris wrote:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
>
> > It is not "make check" that is different, but versions 0.93.0 and
> > newer are different from 0.92.8, as is detailed in the
> > RELEASE.NOTES. I may need to add a note about NFS.
>
> I think such a note would be helpful. Also a comment in the relevant
> section of the FAQ; since it basically gives wrong information now.
>
> > Bogofilter 0.93.0 and newer use the Berkeley DB Transactional Data
> > Store, which writes a Berkeley DB environment - and _this_ does not
> > work with the database in NFS.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> Please consider this another request for a configuration option to
> disable the transaction feature. It's a feature I have no need for
> (it's easy to restore the wordlist from backup, or regenerate it); and
> as it stands it prevents me from using new versions of bogofilter at
> all (though I guess I could look at the alternative --with-database
> options).

Matthias,

We've had more than 1 such request.  Is this in your plans?  Is so,
when?  If not, what is needed to do this?

I know it can be done with an configuration option and with many #ifdefs
sprinkled throughout the code, however it's best not to go that route.

Is disabling the transaction feature more complex than disabling the
database environment code and setting some flags?  If so how difficult
is it?  Can you point me to the appropriate SleepyCat documentation?

Thanks.