bogofilter hogging cpu

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Nov 11 23:27:03 CET 2004

MT <mark at rmtqc.net> writes:

> I have qmail, vpopmail, courier-imap set up with Debian Woody on a
> Pentium 1 (586). Since setting up bogofilter I've noticed the system has
> periodically slowed to a crawl. top reveals bogofilter using 40% or more
> cpu time.

What kind of hard disk drive are you using? ATA/IDE or SCSI?
If ATA/IDE: is DMA enabled for the drive? hdparm -v /dev/hda

How much of the CPU time is spent in "system" and how much in "user"
space?  top(1) may not tell this, but time(1) will.

> Why is bogofilter hogging so much cpu time? Is there any tests I can run
> to find out more about this problem.

Which bogofilter version are you running, how have you installed it, and
if you compiled yourself, what were the compiler options?

Which Berkeley DB version are you using?

bogofilter -V will tell both pieces of information.