bogofilter hogging cpu

MT mark at rmtqc.net
Fri Nov 12 00:46:07 CET 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:
> MT <mark at rmtqc.net> writes:
>

>>I have qmail, vpopmail, courier-imap set up with Debian Woody on a
>>Pentium 1 (586). Since setting up bogofilter I've noticed the system has
>>periodically slowed to a crawl. top reveals bogofilter using 40% or more
>>cpu time.
>

> What kind of hard disk drive are you using? ATA/IDE or SCSI?
> If ATA/IDE: is DMA enabled for the drive? hdparm -v /dev/hda

Direct Memory Access seems to be enabled:

# hdparm -v /dev/hda
/dev/hda:
multcount    =  8 (on)
I/O support  =  0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
using_dma    =  1 (on)
keepsettings =  0 (off)
nowerr       =  0 (off)
readonly     =  0 (off)
readahead    =  8 (on)
geometry     = 624/128/63, sectors = 5033952, start = 0
busstate     =  1 (on)

> How much of the CPU time is spent in "system" and how much in "user"
> space?  top(1) may not tell this, but time(1) will.
>

>>Why is bogofilter hogging so much cpu time? Is there any tests I can run
>>to find out more about this problem.
>

> Which bogofilter version are you running, how have you installed it, and
> if you compiled yourself, what were the compiler options?

I didn't use any compiler options:

./configure
make
make check
su
make install

> Which Berkeley DB version are you using?
>
> bogofilter -V will tell both pieces of information.

# bogofilter -V
bogofilter version 0.92.6
     Database: BerkeleyDB (3.2.9)
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Eric S. Raymond,
David Relson, Matthias Andree, Greg Louis

Thanks,

MT