bogofilter hogging cpu

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Nov 11 20:03:04 CET 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:10:14 -0500
MT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have qmail, vpopmail, courier-imap set up with Debian Woody on a
> Pentium 1 (586). Since setting up bogofilter I've noticed the system
> has periodically slowed to a crawl. top reveals bogofilter using 40%
> or more cpu time.
>
> To setup bogofilter for 2 users I did:
>
> bogofilter -d /home/vpopmail/domains/$domain/$user/.bogofilter -v -s
> -B Maildir/.spam
>
> bogofilter -d /home/vpopmail/domains/$domain/$user/.bogofilter -v -n
> -B Maildir/.nospam
>
> I call bogofilter using maildrop as follows:
>
> xfilter "bogofilter -d
> /home/vpopmail/domains/rmtqc.net/mark/.bogofilter-u -e -p"
> if (/^X-Bogosity: Yes, tests=bogofilter/)
> {
>    exception {
>      to "$VHOME/Maildir/.spam"
>    }
> }
>
> Why is bogofilter hogging so much cpu time? Is there any tests I can
> run to find out more about this problem.
>
> Thank you,
>
> MT

 very odd.  nobody"s ever complained of bogofilter slowness.  bogofilter
is fast with single messages, which is it's normal mode.  it worked well
for me on a p133 with 64mb ram.  waht version of bogofilter are you
using? operating system? hardware?

are you, maybe, scoring mailboxes?  you can test speed via "time
bogofilter < message".  if still slow, gzip messages and email directly.
 will check situation in as day or two.

david