transparency

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Nov 10 00:58:32 CET 2004

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:19:16 +0100
Matthias Andree wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:
>
> > At present, a number of DB_CONFIG options have been mentioned as
> > useful. A quick scan of README.db and recent messages shows these
> > four:
> >
> >     set_lk_max_objects  32768
> >     set_lk_max_locks    32768
> >     set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE
> >     set_flags DB_TXN_NOT_DURABLE
>
> I would not classify any of these as "useful" except perhaps
> DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE (which is 4.2 specific). DB_TXN_NOT_DURABLE is
> outright dangerous and defeats most of the purpose why we switched to
> Transactional in the first place.
>
> The lk_max* stuff are tuning figures, making these the default we'll
> receive complaints about large __db.* files.

My intention was to duplicate the set_lk_max_* values from
datastore_db.c and misremembered the values.  The code uses 16384 for
both of them, not 32768.  Looking at README.db, I find that 32768 is
used there.

Anyhow, useful or not, having bogofilter able to get these values from
_its_ config file is useful.

If I can find the time this evening, I'll implement the 4 options and
post a patch.

> I haven't yet gotten around to review your "copy and update"
> procedures/scripts inquiry (reasons in a personal mail off-list) but
> I'd think we could offer generic bogocopy/bogomove and bogocompact or
> more generic maintenance scripts, and a list of useful DB_CONFIG
> parameters along with the minimum required (or maximum supported) BDB
> version is also on my TODO list.

That'd be good to have!

Regards,