Why does bogofilter need bash?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri May 28 21:19:58 CEST 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:32:42 +0200
Matthias Andree wrote:

...[snip]...

> The tests will be run automatically by the port, with no way around
> (which, BTW, discovered a bug deeper inside FreeBSD 5 on alpha -
> probably a GDB bug).
>
> We don't need bash to run the tests, FreeBSD's /bin/sh is fine for
> make check - just tried.
>
> We need bash for three of the contrib/ stuff scripts, and a cursory
> glance tells me there are bashisms such as substring extraction
> (${Parameter:offset:length}) in randomtrain. Haven't looked at the
> other two.
>
> I'll add a "WITHOUT_BASH" option to the Makefile to nuke the
> dependency and the offending contrib/ stuff altogether.

Files in the "contrib" directory are scripts that users have contributed
for redistribution.  They're included on an "as is" basis, for whoever
may find them useful.  They are not guaranteed to run on any system
other than the initial author's and the are not necessare for successful
bogofilter use.