Why does bogofilter need bash?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri May 28 20:32:42 CEST 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Bash isn't needed for filtering spam, which is bogofilter's purpose.  It
> is used, however, in "make check" which verifies that bogofilter has
> built properly and is functionning properly.  If you're willing to skip
> that test, you can do without bash.
>
> Bogofilter is _known_ to work with FreeBSD, so you can skip "make
> check".

The tests will be run automatically by the port, with no way around
(which, BTW, discovered a bug deeper inside FreeBSD 5 on alpha -
probably a GDB bug).

We don't need bash to run the tests, FreeBSD's /bin/sh is fine for make
check - just tried.

We need bash for three of the contrib/ stuff scripts, and a cursory
glance tells me there are bashisms such as substring extraction
(${Parameter:offset:length}) in randomtrain. Haven't looked at the other
two.

I'll add a "WITHOUT_BASH" option to the Makefile to nuke the dependency
and the offending contrib/ stuff altogether.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95