Why does bogofilter need bash?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri May 28 03:28:58 CEST 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:02:28 +1000
Tig wrote:

> hi, I just did a FreeBSD port install of bogofilter 17.5 and noticed
> that bogofilter requires bash! Why? Whats wrong with sh, something a
> lot more standard than bash. I've never had bash on my server and
> would rather not have something I don't need (well, I guess I need it
> now :])
>
> -Tig

Hi Tig,

Bash isn't needed for filtering spam, which is bogofilter's purpose.  It
is used, however, in "make check" which verifies that bogofilter has
built properly and is functionning properly.  If you're willing to skip
that test, you can do without bash.

Bogofilter is _known_ to work with FreeBSD, so you can skip "make
check".

I'm not knowledgeable enough about the differences between bash and sh
to say whether sh could be substituted for bash in "make check".

Hope this helps :->